Yorkshire Yurts advices that you familiarise yourself with the below information prior to your event.
In the event of any wind disturbance it is essential to ensure the necessary precautions and actions (outlined below) are undertaken.
GUSTING AND HIGH WINDS/EXPOSED SITES
POLE MARQUEES and YURTS:
Wind loading maximum allowed wind speed is:
- 31 m/s (70 mph), 3 sec gust – when side walls are installed.
- 16 m/s (36 mph), 3 sec gust – when installed without (or partial) side walls Marquee must be anchored in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions and is subject to ground conditions.
- If the wind is forecast to within 90% of this figure then it will be necessary to evacuate and close down the tent
- All wind speeds are indicative and the contractor should be consulted for further information
WIND MANAGEMENT PLAN
- All actions will depend on whether our staff are on site, available for call out or off site advice.
- It is preferable to take preventative action than reactive action.
- Contractual and payment liabilities remain in all cases.
- It is the client responsibility to check wind speeds and weather conditions on-site and alert Yorkshire Yurts if concerned.
Pre-erection or during build or dismantling/break periods
- High winds during these times may delay or prevent safe work.
- We will do our best to ensure safe erection or dismantling in time frame for events.
When severe weather is forecast during the event period (before or during erection/build period)
- Client and supplier should consider refusing to build structures if deemed unsafe.
- Consider moving structures to more sheltered locations.
- Consider event postponement or cancellation.
Current weather or forecast weather once structures are erected or in use:
At wind speeds of 0-20mph (force 0-4) calm to gentle breeze;
(i.e. From smoke rising vertically to light drifts, wind felt on face, leaves rustle, leaves in motion and small branches moving)
- There should be nothing to worry about.
At wind speed of 20mph (force 5) fresh breeze and above;
(i.e. small trees in leaf begin to sway, crested wavelets on inland waters)
- There should still be nothing to worry about but consider checking flags, advertising scrim and any attachments, wall flaps.
- Add extra weights and tie downs to pop up gazebos and picnic tents.
At wind speed or gust speed of 25-38mph, force 6-7, strong breeze;
(.i.e. large branches in motion, whistling in telegraph wire, to whole trees in motion)
- Contact Yorkshire Yurts so we can check wind speeds and safety
- Preventative action should be taken and closing of doors/wall flaps, securing of walls should be considered
- If higher winds are forecast and it is safe to do so, consideration of dismantling empty structures should be made
- Consider strengthening tents with suitable extra anchorage – double guy roping
- Consider taking down pop-up gazebos before winds rise to Force 7
At wind speed or gust speed of 40mph, higher force 7, high wind approaching force 8, gale and higher;
(.i.e. from whole trees in motion, difficulty walking into wind to twigs breaking off trees)
- Contact our staff
- CLOSE TENTS. Evacuate staff and public. (unless previously strengthened)
- Take down gazebos, smaller vulnerable structures and tents
At wind speeds or gust speeds of 50mph and above, force 9-10-11, strong gale, whole gale and storm;
- Though our marquees and yurts are manufactured to the previously mentioned specs, they should be considered dangerous and liable to collapse the higher the wind and the weaker the anchorage becomes. This is due to site conditions being different to factory design specs.
- Beware of collapse, over turn, flying debris, breakage
NB: THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE FOR REFERENCE AND RESPONSIBILITY REMAINS WITH THE CLIENT TO CHECK WIND SPEEDS/WEATHER CONDITIONS AT ALL TIMES AND ALERT YORKSHIRE YURTS IF CONCERNED.
To monitor general current wind speeds on-line we recommend services such as www.weatherfile.com